The building was originally a church, the Bible Christian Methodist Church established in 1879 later to become the Eastwood Methodist Church. The foundation stone was laid by Sir Samuel Way (Chief Justice) and Dr A Campbell (MLC). The mallet used was the same one Price Alfred used to lay the foundation stone at Prince Alfred College in 1867.
The church’s first servicer was held on 1st August 1880 and for eighty years the social and spiritual life of many Eastwood residents centred on this little church. Known affectionately as the ‘Little Glory’ the church continued to serve the spiritual needs of the community until it closed its doors in early 1960.
It then served as a sheltered workshop, second hand furniture store and an interior decorating shop. In 1976 Burnside City Council voted to purchase the property, at the request of the Eastwood Residents’ Association specifically for use as a community centre.
Eastwood, one of the oldest sub-divisions in the City of Burnside, is bounded by a triangle of major arterial roads and sits on the south-eastern side of the City of Adelaide. The suburb still contains a large proportion of early colonial houses which are virtually intact, and its location, integrity and boundaries accommodate an historical precinct that has potential for tourism. The historic village of Eastwood and Parkside is divided by the Great Eastern Road, now Glen Osmond Road, which forms the gateway into Adelaide from the eastern states.
Over the years the village has struggled to retain its unity and core, against the demand of its dissection by arterial roadways. It has experienced a resurgence in recent times with the gentrification of inner city living. In 1998 the Glen Osmond Traders Association was formed with the view of upgrading the amenity of the area and to clearly identify it as an attractive shopping location in South Australia.
The Eastwood Community Centre opened for business on 1st July 1978. The centre was completely refurbished in 1993, and these refurbishments are commemorated by a plaque dedicated by the then Governor of South Australia, Her Excellency the Honourable Dame Roma Mitchell AC DBE on 28th April 1994.
In the beginning the primary focus of the community centre was with young mothers (connection with the nearby Grove Kindergarten), followed by that of the extended family group, and older people. A wider focus on community development, education and cultural history were important components.
Today the Centre is the hub of the community, with over 750 participants attending courses or programs that are directly run from the Centre premises at 95 Glen Osmond Road, Eastwood. Much of what is on offer today comes from the demand of the local community and service providers within the broader region.
Its program diversity offered ensures that people from the general public, people with a disability, parents and families, seniors and the frail aged can find a program which caters to their needs.